Rugby League Academy
Balby Academy of Sport has linked up with Doncaster Rugby League Club to provide an academy that is the first of its kind in the whole of South Yorkshire. The Rugby League Academy provides the combination of education and developing performance in Rugby League.
The Rugby League Academy provides teaching from Balby Academy of Sport staff doing the B-Tec National Diploma level 3 (equivalent to 3-A levels) while providing timetabled sessions of expert coaching from Doncaster Rugby League Club. To add to this the team plays rugby games on a Wednesday during the day in the Yorkshire League. This is an excellent opportunity to play rugby league as well as gaining an academic qualification in the process.
The main aim of the academy is to produce the best rugby league players from Doncaster and South Yorkshire and progress to play for the Dons. It is a unique opportunity for players who are not contracted to professional clubs who still would like to make it as a rugby league player or have a particular interest in the game also.
The coaching will cover:
- Coaching includes: Rugby League fundamentals, Physiological & Psychological approaches to Rugby League, a fitness programme and assistance with planning their Rugby League calendar.
- This will be delivered at school via coaching from the Doncaster Dons.
- This will be 6-8 hours of time to include coaching and game time.
- Games will take place on a Wednesday in the college league.
- Students will also meet weekly with the Rugby League Academy director to discuss progress and set targets.
After completing the Rugby League Academy course at Balby Academy of Sport possible careers options may include:
- University (sports courses)
- Pathways to working in the Rugby League industry
- Opportunities to advance to play for the Dons